Sunday, September 21, 2014

Can you say horder?

I guess I could be called a hoarder of yarn. Although not to the extent of the hoarders of the show “Hoarders, Buried Alive”, I do have a large supply of yarn.

I took this weekend to completely go through my yarn stash. I was amazed at how much yarn I had. I really only had 4 whole skeins, the rest of it was partial skeins and small balls of yarn.

I came across many items, besides the few I’ve posted on here, that I had made quite a while ago. I came across two baby blankets, three afghans, two vests, some hats, and quite a few partially made items.my yarn stash

I didn’t want to have to go “rummaging” through the stash to try to find a particular yarn so I, once again, organized my stash.

When I started, I had about 16 bins of yarn, knit/crochet books and supplies. I was able to cut it down to about twelve, and that was with throwing a lot of small remnants of yarn away.

I separated everything. I have one bin for baby yarn, one for cotton yarn and thread and novelty yarn such as fun fur, etc. I have a couple of bins with finished items as well as unfinished projects (hopefully to finish one day). I have about 3 bins of crochet books and magazines and patterns. I have a bin for my full/almost full skeins of yarn. Then I have a couple of bins with leftover yarn, sorted by colors so when I’m looking for a specific color, I’ll have all the variations of that color in the same spot.

My task now is to try to come up with some projects that I can use a lot of this yarn up. I will be doing a lot of socks, hats, slippers and some scrap busting afghans. And for the baby yarn, I’m going to find some preemie patterns to use up the small amounts of baby yarn I have. I am going to try to find some thread patterns to use up my thread, even though I’m not crazy about working with thread. But who knows, I just might find that gorgeous thread pattern that I just can’t pass up!

What is good about this whole thing is that I can keep doing the thing I love to do most, and not have to spend any money doing it, at least until the stash is gone. Winking smile

No comments: